1942 - Formed in the Second World War, to provide pre-entry training
for undergraduates joining the RAF, the Birmingham University Air
Squadron started its first initial officer-training course in October
1950 - the Squadron re-equipped with DeHaviland Chipmunk T10s and was renamed the University of Birmingham Air Squadron (UBAS) on the 15th October 1951.
1958 - UBAS relocated to RAF Shawbury. In November 1971 UBAS came under the control of RAF College Cranwell and flew Chipmunks for 25 years until they were replaced with the BAE Bulldog T1 in June 1975.
1978 - UBAS "temporarily" relocated from RAF Shawbury to RAF Cosford, but has remained there ever since.
2001 - The long serving Bulldogs retired after 26 years service and were replaced by Grob 115E Tutor aircraft.
- © UBAS Online
- Design: HTML5 UP